Powered By Blogger

Monday 2 January 2012

1st January 2012


Today seemed a lot brighter than yesterday in many ways, not least because the strain and stress of Christmas is finished for another year. The three daughters who'd happily gone out to celebrate the New Year returned intact with minor headaches. It proved a particularly enjoyable morning because my oldest daughter sat with me and spent some time talking one-on-one. Sitting close with the light behind us is the only real way I can communicate directly. I used to adore cooking not only for the family but for friends too. Holding dinner parties sometimes for as many as 16 people on my beautifully arranged oak dining table. I was proud of my culinary skills and ability to serve up 5-course meals, each painstakingly home-made.
Those were the days when life was prosperous though not necessarily happy. We worked hard and reaped the rewards, but sadly no one can predict the future and those days came to a sudden, abrupt and even cruel end.

With full-time care of my granddaughter, cooking is a necessity and a challenge. The food is inevitably burnt, my hair singed and if I escape with a couple of minor burns, it's a good day. Thankfully today my daughters were on hand to help and dinner was edible for once.
My granddaughter has been staying with her mother over the festive period, an event I never thought we'd see happen. My daughters' health has been consistently stable for some time, the relief of that and seeing my daughter and granddaughter reunited has been one of the pinnacles of life.

It's amazing how we can be surrounded by loved ones yet be entirely isolated but today was a good day, for a short while I felt part of life again and know I will sleep peacefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment