Powered By Blogger

Saturday 7 January 2012


As a treat my grandson and I went to the cinema today. 
Last year I obtained a cinema ticket designed for disabled persons allowing free entry for the card holder or a adult carer accompanying them. The photographic cards are valid for one year, the specification doesn't cover registered deaf persons or deafblind. The card costs a minimal amount and is valid for one year, however this one had expired. I used to enjoy frequent trips to the cinema but over the last few years its been out of reach like so many other things. Size of screen doesn't prevent blurring and loud sound systems are useless, all in all cinema visits are useless, but like I say it was a treat for my grandson. Because of the expiry they demanded I pay full admission charge, it gave me the opportunity to argue the case and bring awareness of dual sensory loss to the management. You wouldn't pay full price for a three course meal in a restaurant if they placed empty plates in front of you. They relented and we only had to pay for my grandson.   Cinema's are expensive for anyone, add taxi fares and cinema snacks and your talking a lot of money. It annoys me when I'm a regular taxi user and spend a large amount of Disability Living Award on fares yet some drivers refuse to accept disability reduction cards claiming they don't have the paperwork needed. The cards allow a £3 reduction on fares and have a limited amount of use per year, run by local councils the scheme can be a huge asset but acceptance of the cards should be regulated. Cinema charges yet another example of how the unique problems of dual sensory loss isn't taken into consideration. I don't think I'm making a rumpus drawing attention to the act anyone would be reluctant to pay for something they only have partial or almost no benefit from. Its important no disability should be overlooked and not accorded equal fairness in the area's needed.

Believe it or not despite full deaf and blind registration I don't claim high rate DLA. Initially the diagnose was part sighted and deaf, middle rate award reflected that. But over recent years with several unsuccessful operations and continuing deterioration registration was changed to blind/deaf. High rate would enable me to do more things, get out more often and pay for more equipment I desperately need as well as helping costs of hiring tradesmen to do repairs, redecoration and modifications my home needs. Due to the current financial climate and despite encouragement from the Advice shop and various other sources the advice has been not to make a high rate or mobility claim. I'm pretty good at arguing my case and will continue to do so but according to sources with threats of welfare reform I could well end up losing some of my current award rather than gaining anything. There's so many organisations out there trying to protect the rights of the vulnerable, but there are few if any out there trying to safeguard and improve life and rights for deafblind people...

No comments:

Post a Comment