Powered By Blogger

Monday 13 February 2012

Making a Difference


There's a few characteristics I've been fortunate enough to inherit from my late parents, persistence and dogged determination are two but sometimes even the best determination falls flat. I've always had a huge amount of admiration for Helen Keller. That great American woman struck down with meningitis or scarlet fever as a small child, the result was loss of sight and hearing rendering her mute. The story of Helen is astounding not least because of her strength, passion and and determination. She went on to become an icon of survival and overcoming odds and representing so many deserving causes. What set Helen apart from most deafblind people was the fact she had the backing of an influential family with friends in high places, including Alexander Graham Bell and President Cleveland. I suppose my point is it doesn't matter how much desire or determination deafblind people have, nor what level of intelligence they possess, without support, equipment and finances they are doomed to become inconsequential and forgotten.

As more and more services come under fire from cuts and charities struggle with reduced means to retain quality of assistance, more and more people risk being left out and even more vulnerable. The equipment needed by many deafblind people tends to be a combination of deaf and blind aids, those with a small amount of vision but no hearing often prefer electronic note takers to the alternative of dual finger manual. There's some highly acclaimed deafblind people today, many suffer from Usher Syndrome and while for some the condition means sever hearing loss and tunnel vision, for others it means they have a slightly better chance of achievements. I could be wrong but from my personal observations employment of deafblind people, even amongst deafblind charities is those suffering from usher Syndrome who have retained that little extra bit of hearing and vision are more likely to find employment. In contrast deaf and blind charities seem to employ a significant number of deafened or blind people. A lot of the problem with employment of deafblind is the additional help and equipment needed to allow them to conduct a job successfully. It adds up to a huge amount of money to employ just one person and so opportunities are few and far between for a deafblind person to remain a contributory part of society.

I've been involved in a project aimed at helping deafblind people regain confidence and a place in society, but funding is running out and the future of the project is in doubt.
Using what I thought was good initiative I bombarded various organisations to allow me to continue individually some of the work to project had undertaken. I felt incredibly proud when I managed to secure a few ventures that will not only help deafblind people but help bring general patient awareness to newly qualified GP's. The problem was funding these things, after all to do anything I need the support of a guide and note taker, I need literature and printed finger manuals to distribute. Despite jointly running a business in a former life I don't have a clue of costing for equipment, guiding and printing and don't have the foggiest idea how to find out. Incredibly after approaching my local council and calling in a few favours I was told it just might be feasible to get enough funding to last a year, I just have to submit those dreadful funding costs and cross fingers.

The possibility of getting out there and doing something that I personally initiated and knowing I can achieve is a huge boost. I can almost forget my restrictions and bleak future.  But it all comes down to my first point about Helen Keller. Finance and support. With those two things almost anything is possible. The support of people who understand my needs, who give as much assistance as possible. The finance to enable these people to help me and provide necessary equipment. Helen Keller was an amazing woman but also in some ways a fortunate one, the opportunities to make an impact on the world and make yourself heard is not readily available to most of us.

To be able to say 'I have this condition but it didn't control me or beat me because of my own determination and the support of good people,' must be a truly wonderful thing.
To be one of those marvellous caring people who can say “I went out there and helped someone achieve by supporting and encouraging them,” must be an equally wonderful thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment