Powered By Blogger

Monday 16 October 2023

Touching Lives


Of the many wonderful places, I've had the privilege of giving talks in, George Herriot School is my unshakeable favourite for many reasons.

Built in 1668 as an independent boys' school. Now a Secondary, Primary and Day School for male and female pupils. This incredibly imposing school is situated in Edinburgh's Old Town, directly behind the towering volcanic base of Edinburgh Castle. George Herriot is credited as the inspiration for J.K. Rowlings 'Hogwarts'. The world-famous Harry Potter School of Magic. The school really is magical! To be invited back repeatedly to speak to the staff and pupils about deafblindness and, share my personal life experiences and opinions with them all was an unforgettable honour.

The main imposing building has a huge courtyard with towering stone pillars. I was told sometimes when the weather is agreeable, the school orchestra performs in the courtyard for selected guests. I came to know the deputy head of the Secondary of the secondary. His mother was elderly and had acquired deafness, which helped explain his keenness in encouraging students to learn about sensory loss.
I wasn't nervous about speaking to these privileged young people in fact I relished it. Humans have the appalling habit of judging others based on first impressions of dress, accent, posture, and other petty things.

My late mother made me walk around the house with a book balanced on my head. I hated it. She explained it'd improve posture, balance, and confidence. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realised she was correct. How we walk and position our heads and shoulders sends sensory signals to others. Someone with slumped shoulders and head slightly downwards indicates a lack of confidence, self-belief, and a defeatist attitude. Walking with head and shoulders straight and looking straight ahead is a sign of confidence. When you apply for a job. qualifications are most definitely not the only points that count.

I couldn't see the facial reactions of the pupils when I entered the classrooms. I didn't have to, I knew they'd be surprised by my confident manner. despite the red and white cane and dark glasses. They were! That first visit to George Herrot was astounding. I KNEW they listened to me., KNEW some were willing to spend time learning the deafblind finger manual and knew they connected with me.

I was invited back to the school a further 11 times with the same result every time. On my final visit. a couple of pupils from the classes I'd spoken to were waiting for me in the vestibule with the deputy head. They presented me with a bouquet of beautiful flowers and various gifts with the name and picture of the school. I know I made a lasting impact on a few pupils; Later I received a letter from the Deputy personally thanking me yet again, he'd enclosed five lovely handwritten letters from various pupils explaining how they each felt about various things I'd told them. What greater accord could I get than that.

Docere est talem - To teach is to empower.

No comments:

Post a Comment