Sunday 12 May 2024

Happy Days

As a child "home" could be anywhere in the world but the main home was in Surrey. The house we always returned to in between our worldly travels. I loved the house and so many happy things happened there. our next-door neighbour was the adorably kind and funny Harry Secombe. Singer, actor, presenter, and one of "The Goons" (Also Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers and Michael Bentine). I knew nothing of the Goons but adored Harry and his wife Myra. Two of his children were older than me and two were slightly younger. Harry had a wonderfully loud laugh, the family-owned six boxer dogs I was terrified of them. Through Harry, I also met Peter Sellers. I remember he'd flirt with my mum much to my dad's annoyance. I had no idea he was famous until I saw the"Pink Panther films".

When we were in the UK in summer we'd attend the local cricket club and watch Surrey play. During the intervals, Harry would take me or one of his daughters around the pitch clutching a white bucket to collect money for charity. On Sunny days Harry and his wife would host a garden party for the neighbours and his friends which included Eric Sykes and Roy Castle. Castle was a horrid man, always drunk and rude to women and children. My dad had to be held back from punching him one day, Castle was a nasty drunk, and my dad spotted him pushing my brother out of the way causing him to fall.
My dad and his brother Sam were incredibly close, Sam knew everyone in the land of Politics and celebs. I was eight years old when "Lawrence of Arabia premiered. One day when I was with my two uncles we bumped into one of my uncle Ron's "Poker friends" who was none other than Omar Sharief. I may have been a child but I was utterly and totally star-struck and in love. Omar bent down, smiled and shook my hand. He melted my heart on the spot. When the film was to be premiered I begged to go with Sam Ron and my parents but I was too young. My uncle Ron persuaded my parents to allow me to enter the cinema by the back door accompanied by one of his female friends. We were allowed to sit in the projector box (which was boring) however we had the golden opportunity to say hello to Omar before he met the Queen.
A chap called Johnny Morris hosted a TV show called "Animal Magic". I have no idea how my dad came to meet him but apparently, Johnny had a couple of rabbits that needed to be rehomed. One was quite sick, and Dad knew my mum would care for it. And she did! Roger the rabbit had two large attic rooms to himself. Sadly his condition didn't improve, he died a few months later, which was probably just as well because we took off on our travels again.

No matter where we travelled toRegardless of where we travelled too we'd always return to that big old house end up back in the old house too No matter where we went home was always the big house in Surrey. Now and then I'll dream about the house. I walk into the sitting room where my two uncles, my mum and dad and my dad's other brothers and wives are chatting happily. The large bar with its shelves of miniature whiskey bottles above it (dad was lifelong teetotal but collected whisky miniatures from around the world).

The large coal fire roaring and a still full bowl of chocolates sits in the middle of the coffee table. (It was customary to have a bowl of sweets in the sitting room). The room and house was always happy warm and full of love. I've dreamed it all a million times throughout the years. I love Surrey for the wonderful times and the beautiful memories it holds. My spiritual home is vastly different, 'home' is where I feel truly at peace with myself and the world - The desert. True bliss and peace for me remain in vast expanses of deserts. Western Australia has three massive deserts. Mention a desert and you'll probably think of a scorching dry barren expanse of burning hot sand when deserts are teeming with life
where I am truly at peace with myself and the world feels most at peace. The seemingly barren deserts that teem with life. yet truth be told my spiritual home isn't between four walls. Home is deserted
even the beautiful home in Surrey.

Home to me isn't just that house in Surrey, home for me is in the desert. Those vast expanses of sand appear barren yet team with hidden life forces which most of us hope never to encounter at close range. I could happily talk about deserts all day...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Is It Bah Humbug or not...